Mayor Lenny Curry announced that beaches and parks throughout Duval County will reopen Friday, April 17, 2020 at 5 p.m., with restrictions for essential activities only. As defined in Governor Ron DeSantis’ Executive Order, essential activities include the following:
- Participating in recreational activities consistent with social distancing guidelines, such as walking, biking, hiking, fishing, running, swimming, taking care of pets and surfing
- No sunbathing, towels, blankets, chairs, coolers, grills, etc. will be permitted on Duval County beaches during the restricted hours they are open.
“This can be the beginning of the pathway back to normal life,” Mayor Lenny Curry said. “Please respect and follow these limitations. Stay within the guidelines for your safety as well as for the safety of your neighbors.”
In addition to limits on activities, beaches will open from 6 a.m. to 11 a.m. each morning and from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. each evening. They will remain closed during all other time periods. Swimming and surfing will be at your own risk.
In addition to limits on activities, beaches will open from 6 a.m. to 11 a.m. each morning and from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. each evening. They will remain closed during all other time periods. Please be advised that you are swimming and surfing at your own risk.
In Jacksonville Beach, public parking is available West of 1st Street. Public parking lots and end zones will be closed East of 1st Street.
Parks that are owned and operated by the City of Jacksonville will resume normal hours starting at 5 p.m. Friday, April 17. However, Mayor Curry’s Executive Order that limits gatherings to fewer than 50 people, still stands. In addition:
- City of Jacksonville golf courses will reopen during normal operating hours, but individuals must follow social distancing requirements
- No overnight camping at Hanna or Huguenot parks is permitted
- Playground amenity usage must follow social distancing requirements
- No organized group activities are permitted – this includes picnics or gatherings, team sports, or any type of group activity
- All park restroom facilities will remain closed
- Pavilions and picnic areas will remain closed