Tag Archives: Back in Time

Back in Time with Brett: The Brown Residence

By Brett Nolan
mail@floridanewsline.com

“Well, come on inside and getcha’ self something cool to drink,” would have probably been an all too common phrase bellowed off the top of John C. Brown’s two-tiered veranda facing Mandarin Road; it was a warm southern invite to combat the oppressive heat of Florida, as Mandarinites played croquet under the shade of the stately, moss draped, oak trees on their riverfront lawns. 

Back in Time with Brett | The King House

By Brett Nolan
mail@floridanewsline.com

High on the bluffs of the mighty St. Johns sits one of Mandarin’s oldest riverfront homes. The William King residence, built in 1873, is an architectural gem. For many Americans back in the day, one of the draws to Florida was the health benefits from the sun. Refugees from up north would move to the Sunshine State hoping to ease the pain of their various ailments, including First Lady Mary Todd Lincoln who came to Jacksonville in 1874 to aid with her arthritis. Long-neglected orange groves lined the shores of the river resulting in many Northerners lured to Mandarin for the warm climate and interest in making a living from cultivating citrus. 

Back in Time with Brett: Steamship Maple Leaf – Part 2

By Brett Nolan
mail@floridanewsline.com

Laid to rest in a blanket of mud, eight feet under the turbid waters of the natural ribbon that cuts through the city of Jacksonville, the “Maple Leaf” saw life above the mighty St. Johns River for the last time 155 years ago.

Back in Time with Brett: John Henry Jacks House, Part 2

By Brett Nolan
mail@floridanewsline.com

When John Henry Jacks had William Monson built his Mandarin home in 1887, the area was a rural farming community of about 1200 people known for its citrus industry and vegetable production.

Back in Time with Brett | Historic Plummer’s Cove Cemetery

By Brett Nolan
mail@floridanewsline.com

Plummer’s Cove Cemetery is the only tangible reminder of the small farming community of Plummer, a section in Mandarin located at Plummer’s Cove (now adjacent to the Buckman Bridge). In use by 1860, this cemetery was the early burial grounds for many of Mandarin’s pioneer families including the Bowdens, Hartleys, Bradys, Flynns, and Wantons.