By Martie Thompson
Celebrating its first decade, the Pink Ribbon Golf Classic is Northeast Florida’s only all-women charity golf tournament. The event was created in part by breast cancer survivors and provides direct financial support for local breast cancer research and related services at Baptist Medical Center Beaches and Mayo Clinic — Jacksonville.
Women golfers will tee it up at the Ponte Vedra Inn & Club on the Ocean and Lagoon courses on Thursday, Oct. 13. Registration begins at 7:30 a.m. in the Ponte Vedra Inn & Club Pro Shop and a shotgun start, Captain’s Choice format begins at 8:30 a.m. Luncheon, with an awards presentation, follows the tournament at 1 p.m.
The festivities begin with the Tee Off Cocktail Party at a private residence in The Plantation at Ponte Vedra Beach on the evening before the golf tournament, Wednesday, Oct. 12 from 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. Attendees will enjoy hors d’oeuvres, an open bar, valet parking and live and silent auctions including a vacation in the Dominican Republic, John Hardy fine jewelry and a putting lesson with a PGA Tour professional. Tickets are $100 per person and sold on a first come, first served basis.
Over the past 10 years, with the help of generous sponsors, the Pink Ribbon Golf Classic has contributed over $1,000,000 — $240,000 in 2015 alone — to the fight against breast cancer in Northeast Florida. Locally, more than 500 women and men will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year. Volunteers with the Pink Ribbon Golf Classic have a goal of raising even more money in 2016 than they did last year.
This year’s contribution to Baptist Medical Center Beaches will help purchase a SenoClaire breast tomosynthesis with three-dimensional imaging technology. Prior contributions have helped purchase state-of-the-art equipment and more including:
- Purchasing bi-directional dopplers that repair cells damaged by radiation during breast reconstruction.
- Purchasing an x-ray pathology unit, known as a Faxitron, that results in even faster and more accurate diagnoses.
- Purchasing a digital mammography unit that helps diagnose breast cancer earlier and with greater accuracy.
- Hiring of a Breast Cancer Care Coordinator, who supports patients with every aspect of treatment to include life as a breast cancer survivor.
- Underwriting an educational forum on the hereditary risk of breast and ovarian cancers, the connection between these cancers, and the ensuing discovery of the BRCA 1 and 2 genes.
- Establishing the Support and Survivorship Program at Hill Breast Center that offers everything from yoga to cooking classes, seminars and other services enhancing patients’ lives during and after treatment.
- Purchasing new mammography/MRI gowns.
- Helping cover medical costs incurred by breast cancer patients, who are not covered by health insurance.
- Establishing an endowment to provide a consistent source of funds to support breast cancer related needs.
Contributions made by the Pink Ribbon Golf Classic to Mayo Clinic — Jacksonville over the past nine years have primarily supported pioneering research. Contributions in 2016 will continue to support lymphedema of Dr. Sarah McLaughlin. Additional contribution highlights include:
- Supporting the breast cancer research of Edith A. Perez, M.D., E. Aubrey Thompson, Ph.D. and their team in the Mayo Clinic Breast Cancer Translational Genomics Program. This renowned team has developed an analytical infrastructure that has positioned Mayo Clinic as one of the global leaders in breast cancer genomics.
- Supporting the Breast Cancer Genome Guided Therapy Study (BEAUTY). BEAUTY is a ground-breaking, national genetic clinical trial designed to help researchers and physicians better understand the role genetics play in breast cancer treatment.
- Purchasing a biopsy system that is used in conjunction with the digital breast tomosynthesis (often referred to as a tomo or DBT). This integral piece of equipment gives radiologists the ability to locate and accurately target regions of interest for biopsy resulting in a seamless, streamlined procedure.
Visit http://pinkribbonjax.org or email email@example.com for more information or to register for the cocktail party or golf tournament. Sponsorship opportunities are also available.
Photos courtesy Sara Strom
Women golfers take part in the Pink Ribbon Golf Classic in 2015.